RELEVANT TEACHING/ WORKSHOP EXPERIENCE
2016 Workshop Instructor
· Developed and led a well-attended, multi-media workshop on ‘Genertaing Ideas’ to local writers in Inverness County
2007-10 Participant in Fiction Workshops
1995-98 Concordia University
· Offered extensive written and verbal feedback/ critique of fellow students’
writing in graduate and undersgraduate fiction workshops.
2008 Instructor – ENGL 212 (Composition I)
-09 Concordia University
· Designed and taught Composition II course to undergraduate students at Concordia University.
2007 Teaching Assistant – Canadian Literature
-08 Concordia University
- Graded academic papers written by undergraduate literature students.
-07 Caron Training Centre
· Taught English as a Second Language to adult professionals at the intermediate and advanced levels in their work environment.
· Developed lesson plans designed to improve the grammar, syntax, vocabulary and fluency of Francophone learners.
· Required excellent knowledge of English grammar and ability to adapt teaching methods to varying levels of ability.
- 03 City Academy, Toronto
· Taught grade 9-12 English, including 3U-4U and Writer’s Craft; taught grade 9 French and grade 12 Family Studies at a co-ed independent school.
· Completed over 1000 hours of instruction.
· Responsibilities included developing courses of study according to Ministry of Education guidelines, and designing tests, assignments and exams.
· Developed excellent classroom management skills.
2010 Master of Arts, Creative Writing and English Literature
2005 Bachelor of Arts, Honours, Creative Writing and English Literature
(Graduated with Distinction)
All Is Beauty Now
McClelland and Stewart
All Is Beauty Now, US edition
‘Outside Over There’(essay)
Brick Magazine, Issue 95, June 2015
(a biennial Toronto literary journal founded in 1977)
Reading Montreal (Guest Editor)
-Developed story idea and edited content for online cultural magazine.
2018 John and Margaret Savage First Novel Award(winner)
2018 Thomas Head Raddall Award for Fiction (Shortlisted)
2008 Feige and Sydney Gasco Scholarship
2005 Malahat Review’s Far Horizons Award for Fiction (Shortlisted)